So here I am back in London, getting back into the training runs. Lots of long slow runs. Now here's a thing that you don't find out about too often. You lose more fat by running slowly than you do by running fast. sounds ridiculous, but it's true. It's due to how the metabolism of the body works at different levels of exertion. If you push very hard, you use 100% carbohydrates, which are readily available as sugars in the blood and muscle tissue. If you run slowly, which is best measured by an easy pace that lets you have a conversation with someone you're running with, then you burn much more fat. After a year of training, I now know that at that steady pace, I have moved from 70% fat burning to 100% fat burning. I'm sure that's good! It means that I can run much much further at a steady pace.
Anyway, why the Olympic run? Well today I ran form my hotel in the City of London up to the Regent's Canal (only about a mile away). Then turn South East and run along the canal towpath for a couple of miles.
As you can see, it's very pretty on a Spring evening at about 18.30.
Lots of joggers and cyclists out enjoying the early evening sun. What I can't fathom is why so many use ipods to run with. I've been sad enough to count and about 70% run with them. I like to enjoy the evening sounds of the birds and boats on the canal. It also means that they never look at you and never say Hi! Unfriendly bug***s.
Anyway, after a couple of miles, I came across the Hertford Union Canal branching off the Regent's Canal, turning East towards Stratford, and even more tranquil than the Regent's Canal.
I came across a German bloke running along the towpath. I didn't catch his name, let's call him Hans. Hans is training for the Ironman in August. That's a 3.5 mile swim, 125 mile bike ride followed by a 26.2 mile marathon to finish off. Hans looked very fit and is training 20 hours per week. 10 hours on the bike, 6 hours running and 4 hours swimming. Wears you out thinking about it! Even if I run 60 miles in a week, that takes me less than 10 hours! And I don't run 60 miles very often.
No comments:
Post a Comment